Tuesday, September 4, 2012


I had a thoracentesis done today. OUCH!!! Thora- means chest, -centesis is removal of fluid using a needle. Think amniocentesis that some pregnant women get, but I get stuck in the back. We were told to get there at 2pm, and we were actually on time (my fellow coworkers would be shocked!). We had to wait about 30 min to get the doctor's orders. Um...this was supposed to have been ordered on Fri, what the heck? Anyway, they got me back to radiology, where I sat on a bed for about an hour. Finally, they wheeled me back to where the thoracentesis was going to take place. I sat until 415, and the doctor came in (not mine, just the radiologist doing it). He explained what he was going to do. He said that he was going to clean my back, then give me a shot of Lidocaine, and finally, do the procedure. He said that the needle-stick would feel like a bee sting. That's what every doctor says about every procedure, I swear. But, he was actually right. But then he said that I wouldn't feel anything else. Lying butthole! I felt like the wind was knocked out of me, like how I would imagine a football player feels when hit really hard in the lungs by a 300lb lineman, or whatever they are called. I don't think I'm exaggerating. Anyway, I felt like I was gasping for air, it hurt to breathe, and I was coughing like crazy. (This was due to the extraction of the fluid. I filled up 1600ml of a container). They said that I would cough near the end, so I think the lack of breathing was causing the coughing. I cried like a big ol' baby. After the torture was over, they took me to X-ray, did another one, and then put me back in the "holding room". I laid for about an hour, still in pain, and we were ready to leave. That was horrid. Now, every time I move or breathe in, my front and back hurt. They said it would be about 24 hours until I feel normal again. Oh really, well, I think normal was back before July 30th, when I had the 1st freaking EKG done that determined my faith thereafter. So I don't really remember normal. I can't wait to feel better. I hate complaining, but I hate pain even more. I took a Hydrocodone and it didn't touch the pain. I'm going to try to go to bed, bc my efforts to take a nap earlier didn't really work. Hopefully, I can write some good news tomorrow. Dear Lord, I pray this pain is gone tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment